Back to Article List
Meal Time Tips When Providing Elderly Home Care
Oct 14, 2016 by Comfort Keepers of Walnut Creek
If you are helping to provide elderly home care to a senior family member of loved one, then one of the many responsibilities that you may have is helping your loved one during meal time. Although it may seem like a relatively simple task, meal time can be very frustrating for some seniors, especially if they are no longer able to prepare and eat meals on their own. With this in mind, here are several tips that any elderly home care provider can use in order to make sure that meal time goes well for their loved one.
- Always make sure to ask the senior about what type of meal they want to eat. Just because they can’t cook it doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t have any say in what they are eating.
- If the senior is feeling upset by their inability to cook, consider letting them help in the kitchen while you prepare their meal.
- Set the senior up for success by making sure they are stationed in a comfortable place for meal time, that makes it easy to reach their plate and utensils. For some seniors this is the kitchen table, for others it may be a tray.
- Cut up any difficult-to-eat meats so the senior doesn’t have to struggle or feel embarrassed if they need to ask for help.
- Make sure that the senior is drinking plenty of water with their meal, preventing dehydration is an important part of elderly home care.
- Have the senior’s medications ready for them during their meal, so they remember to take them.
- Always make sure there are items available that the senior will want to eat, many seniors have a change in appetite as they age.
- Try to be engaging and include the senior in conversation if you are preparing a meal for multiple people, so the senior doesn’t feel left out.
Keep these tips in mind when providing elderly home care to any senior. Meal time can be a challenge, but with a little patience and a slightly different approach, many seniors will start to feel more comfortable and more confident during each and every meal.