Back to Article List
10 Easy Senior Care Fall Prevention Tips
Nov 7, 2016 by Comfort Keepers of Walnut Creek
For today’s seniors, there is no bigger threat out there than the threat of falling. Fall prevention is one of the most important elements of quality senior care as falls are the number one reason that seniors end up in the emergency room. Falls can happen virtually anywhere, in fact a majority of falls actually happen right inside or around the home. With this in mind, any senior care provider should always be on the lookout for potential fall hazards and taking some extra precautions to make sure that falls don’t happen in the home. Here are 10 easy senior fall prevention tips to keep in mind.
- Tie up any loose cords that can cause a fall in the home
- Remove clutter from around the home that seniors may trip on
- If the senior needs a mobility aide, make sure to bring it with you no matter where you go
- Always be on the lookout for ice, water puddles and other outdoor hazards that could cause a trip
- Make sure that seniors are always wearing shoes with good traction on them while inside the home
- If your loved one likes to wander around at night, then make sure that you have plenty of night lights to help guide them
- Secure rugs to the floor with no-slip pads
- Add hand railings and support rails inside the bathroom—the most common place in the home for a fall to happen
- Make sure all walking aides such as canes and walkers fit properly
- Never let a senior get out of a car on their own, this is one of the most common ways that falls happen
Keep these 10 easy senior care tips in mind while looking after your loved one, they can help you make sure that your senior is staying safe and that falls don’t become an issue.